[pct-l] a few questions

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Jun 17 17:46:27 CDT 2010

Good afternoon, Swiss Miss,

Per the SIBBG map the point at which you are required to have your food in a
‘can is at Cottonwood Pass, about 50 miles north of Kennedy Meadows.  Up to
that point you can carry some food separate in your pack.  50 miles is about
2 ½ days or about a quarter of your food load.  Maybe the remaining ¾ of the
food will fit in the ‘can if you make good selections, get rid of extraneous
packaging, and get brutal with your packing methods.

It’s not uncommon for hikers to get a little gaunt in a long stretch like KM
to VVR, but 3,000 Cal./day isn’t exactly a starvation rate.  My general
approach to fuel requirements is at:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=166338

The 20+ pounds of food won’t be fun, but remember: you won’t be carrying 5-6
liters of water either as you did in the southern sections, which is a
significant compensation.

When you can resume 25 miles/day depends upon how much snow you find north
of the Sierras, and this year you’ll probably find more than you’d really
prefer.  It will probably be heavy –for the season – up to the Cal/Or
border, then good, fast hiking the rest of the way north.

Bear in mind that extra time is required to get a resupply box to VVR, so
plan accordingly if you don’t buy food there.

Enjoy the Sierras – it should be great this year.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09