[pct-l] Easy section hike

MAXINE WEYANT weyantm at msn.com
Mon Jun 21 00:50:48 CDT 2010

Hi,
I'm a section hiker.  I just had my 4rth knee surgery a few months ago, (3rd ACL reconstruction.)  Every summer I do 150-220 miles of the PCT.  I'm hoping to do one of the more gentle sections this August.  I can go uphill but hiking downhill, even with poles, pulls on my new ACL graft a bit and I need to let it heal before I can stress it a lot.

I've already hiked most of WA, have done the Sierra's from Pinchot Pass to Truckee. I know that Whitney Portal to Pinchot would be unwise this year, but I'm not that familiar with the terrain bet Walker and Cottonwood.  I don't want to do desert in August.

So, I'm interested in doing a 100-180 mile chunk somewhere in CA either between Truckee and the OR border, or bet. Walker Pass and Cottonwood, or somewhere in Oregon. Before I start researching all the guidebooks and elevation data can someone recommend or recall a portion of the PCT that seemed especially gentle for a long time? I can go NOBO or SOBO, and can go up, but can't tolerate those bone-jarring sustained downhills or lots of stepping down off boulders/granite steps.

No trail name yet, but Klumplstiltzkin seems appropriate right now.....