[pct-l] Ashland ReSupply Pointers

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Mon Jun 21 23:51:09 CDT 2010

Original Message -----
>From  	Ernie Castillo <erniec01 at hotmail.com>
Date  	Mon, 21 Jun 2010 17:31:09 -0400
To  	<darren.bagnall at yahoo.com>, <pct-l at backcountry.net>
Subject  	Re: [pct-l] Ashland Resupply Pointers

It has been 30 years since my through hike but Ashland used to host a Shakespear festival. It was nice to absorb some culture during a layover. We also found people willing to let us camp in their back yard.

Ernie Castillo
erniec01 at hotmail.com
248 884 5201

Yes--the Shakespeare Festival is here and it would be a shame to leave town without seeing at least one play. If you just show up at the box office there are often tickets available for that day. That's how I as a local buy tickets. There are also $20 seats at the performances which may be available. The Elizabethan stage has standing room only tickets that are cheaper, although after having hiked for such a long way you may be interested in sitting down to see a play. Also--people hang out in front of the Bowmer theatre and sell their unused tickets before the shows.

The Shakespeare Festival is about a five minute walk from the Ashland Hostel. There are three theaters as part of the festival and 9 plays (2 will have already closed for the season by the time you get here) in revolving repertory. Hamlet is a hot ticket right now. If you don't want to spend any money you can watch the free "Green Show" in front of the Elizabethan Theater every night except Monday starting at 7:15 up until Aug 8 and then 6:45 Aug 10 to October.

There is also a developed hot springs (Jackson Well Springs) on the north end of town on Hwy 99. It offers camping on a huge grass area with large trees The bus in the city limits is only 50 cents and stops there.

Ditto on Shop n Kart as the best place to shop--that's where I go. The only problem is it's on the far end of town from the hostel. There is a food Co op a few blocks from the hostel, but it is more expensive.

--Fireweed