[pct-l] GPS Woes and benefits

Rod Belshee rbelshee at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 28 23:54:08 CDT 2010

I used it in the manner of which you query.  Maybe even less.   I just
carried the GPS (Vista HC) as backup, and it was handy for those times when
I wasn't sure ("did that creek count as the third one on the map, or is this
an unmapped trickle?"), which was sometimes a couple of times a day, though
on most days not turned on at all. Maybe I averaged about once per day?

Net batteries use?  Well, it was comical.  I had pre-packed new lithium
batteries periodically in my re-supply boxes.  Two months into the hike, I
was carrying the GPS with its original batteries, plus two new sets of
batteries from my re-supply! Ultimately I used three pairs of batteries for
the five months, but actually hadn't run any down to zero.  Three years
later I still have one last pair of lithium batteries that I purchased for
the hike stored in my freezer.  In retrospect, I probably could have gone
the whole trail, and certainly could have picked up a new set along the way
if they ran dry.

By the way, but I have found that I use my GPS very differently while
kayaking. There I appreciate the maps (I find it harder to visually identify
my location on water than on the trail), the buoy locations, shipping lanes,
the speed (great for determining the current), etc..  So I get that it can
be fun to have the GPS always on on the trail too, but for me it happens to
be more fun on the trail to rely on map and visual identification, the sun
and a watch for direction, dead reckoning for distance, and reserve the GPS
as a backup if that doesn't work out so well. If that matches you, don't
worry about batteries at all -- you might need to buy one new set along the
way.

I do recommend lithium since they are lighter weight and longer lasting.

Rod