[pct-l] pack volume - is 35L too small

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Jun 30 17:33:53 CDT 2010

Seems like a small pack to me. I used a 4000 cubic inch (64L) pack
most of the time. Sometimes that was too big but sometimes it was
just enough. You get really hungry out there, hungrier than you've
ever been in your life. Packs are relatively cheap as far as gear
goes and you can do better to save money by avoiding too many town
stops and hotel stays. In fact, one hotel stay could have paid for my
$80 pack.

There are some good money-saving tips in this article on how to
dirtbag and gear shop like a professional. Don't scoff too much until
you read through. There are good tips in here:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=206678#post206678

On Jun 30, 2010, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> The wife seems to have given her blessings w/re by trying to be a
> member of
> the class of 2011..  but I'm trying to do such "on the cheap", ie,
> not spend
> big $'s on all new equipment. My question is: I've been using a
> light 35L
> lowe pack for climbing for the last decade - it fits well, I can do
> a single
> overnight on a mtn with it (have many times) and it meets my test
> of being
> able to trailrun with it (besides weighing in at, the literature says:
> 43oz). For an 2 day climbing trip, crampons et al it'll weigh in at
> 25-28
> lbs. My question is: assuming going to a quilt vs a sleeping bag,
> is it
> likely that'll I'll be able to use it for a thru hike given the
> need to
> carry a bear contrainer and at some pts 10 days of food. For a cold
> country
> climbing trip I end up with much strapped on the ouside..  but it
> all works.
> What are the typical sizes of successful thru hiker's packs? I've been
> reading the various trail journals and it seems 45-55L are more the
> norm.
> thanks - TheDuck

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes
http://stores.lulu.com/dianesoini

We're not here for a long time, but we are here for a good time