[pct-l] Mount Whitney

gwschenk at socal.rr.com gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Thu Mar 4 08:53:04 CST 2010

---- Justin Kazmark <justinkazmark at gmail.com> wrote:
> My girlfriend and I will be hiking the PCT this year and intend on doing Mt.
> Whitney.  We estimated that we should get there by June 12th.  We have a
> couple friends who wanted to join us for the ascent of Whitney.  They've
> applied for permits via the lottery and if all goes well we would try to
> meet them at Whitney Portal on the 12th of June and head up together then.
>
> Sounds like snow might be an issue for that part of the trail then.  Any
> thru hikers from past years remember tackling Whitney that early?  Anyone
> with thoughts on this date based on snow estimates for this year?  Is it too
> early to tell at this point or reasonable to expect we might be able to make
> it happen?

The way things are going this year, it's a good bet that snow will be an issue in early June. Are your friends comfortable with snow travel? Do they know how to climb snow in balance? Do they know how to self-belay and self-arrest with an axe? If so, they'll be OK, IMO.

As the date gets closer, they can check at the Portal message board for updates on conditions.
http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm

The Whitney experts all hang out there. Good luck.

Gary