[pct-l] Great Divide Trail 2010!!

J Matis justin.matis.com at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 12:36:56 CST 2010

Dear PCT peeps,
I thru-hiked the PCT last year (09) and have an invitation for my
fellow adventurers:
Let's get a crew together to hike the Great Divide Trail (GDT)--an
800-mile continuous footpath along the Continental Divide in the
Canandian Rockies. The GDT's southern terminus is the northern
terminus of the Continental Divide Trail, so it'll be a burly-good
time. I thru-hiked the GDT back in 08, but its wild beauty entranced
me and I have to do it again.
My lovely fiancée and I are thinking about starting this time in
mid-June, maybe a few weeks later, depending on snow conditions.
The GDT traverses Canada's major national parks (Waterton, Banff,
Jasper, etc). Here are a few of the highlights:
WAY more wildlife than I saw on the PCT: grizzlies, wolverines,
porcupines, bobcats, elk, moose, wolves, black bears, mountain lions,
beavers—all ignorant to the perils of man.
Lots of remote wilderness—your longest resupply will be 160 miles!
Your typical resupply will be about 100 miles.
Resupply towns are easy to get to—you can use a resupply strategy
similar to that used on the PCT. There are, however, no “alternative”
resupply-destinations, so we'd all go to the same town, which could be
fun.
Many nearby, visible glaciers but no glacier travel
Great guidebook by Dustin Lynx
There are no established trail angels or trail community, but let's
bring a community up there. Check out my photos from my 08 hike at
http://picasaweb.google.com/justin.matis/GDT2008?feat=directlink
Who's in?
Dash