[pct-l] Toilet paper

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 13:51:24 CST 2010

I never brought toilet paper.  I hated seeing it along the trail.  IMO
"biodegradable" toilet paper is a sham.  Kind of like "biodegradable soap".
I avoid bringing either in the backcountry.

Along the PCT I used the following to wipe my #%*:

-Leaves (the norm)
-Pine and Fir Needles
-Smooth rocks (the norm above tree line)
-Snow (bbbbbbrrrrrrrrr)
-Bark
-Smooth sticks (when I was in a pinch)
-Moss (my personal favorite, found everywhere North of California)
-A squirrel (just kidding, I love squirrels)

If you are going to bring toilet paper, please bury it every single time.
See
http://hikethru.com/hiking-information/backyard-science/toilet-paper-decompositionfor
how long that stuff takes to decompose when exposed.

:)