[pct-l] Ticks

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Mar 6 10:01:16 CST 2010

Good morning, Fireweed,

I agree entirely with you on the need for tick vigilance.  Most of the
problems seem to be in California, and after several hikes through there
I’ve only seen a few.  In spite of (fairly) regular inspections the first
“wandering freckle” I found was a few miles short of Cajon Pass, and there
were only a very few after that.

I specifically avoid contacting vegetation along the trail – or at least as
well as I can – but another thing that seems to help me is that I hike in
shorts with bare legs so I can much more easily see them in contrast to my
skin.  If they crawl down to my shoes/socks/gaiters I can be easily seen at
routine sock-changing times.  They seem less likely to crawl up to my loose
shorts, but I inspect there as well as I can.  Once you find one burrowing
in the crack of your butt you pretty quickly find out who your friends are.

Unfortunately, not finding any makes me a bit lazy with inspections, but
once I find the first one I become convinced that every little twitch or
tickle is another.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09