[pct-l] ticks removal and feminine hygiene (unrelated topics)

Elisabeth M. Chaplin echaplin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 19:53:37 CST 2010

I regularly select lighter colored clothing for hiking with ticks in mind --
a few years ago I heard that ticks are less likely to jump on to lighter
colors, which of course I have NO idea is this is based in science, but it
does make spotting them on you much easier. Also, I strip down and do a once
over as soon as I get home, just before I shower off all that poison oak I
may or may not have come into contact with. I know there are ticks out in my
big backyard, but I haven't had one latch into me since I was just a kid --
back then we used the hot match on their gluttonous little bodies, which is
now a big no no. But who am I kidding, that wasn't THAT long ago.... With
the dog, I find that the sooner I can find the ticks, the easier it is to
remove them; I get down next to the skin and just pull them out with my bare
hands, seems to do the trick every time. It's my understanding that fiddling
with the tick (as someone described fussing with them until they backed out
on their own) is not as good as just pulling them out with tweezers or your
fingers, as it might encourage them to backwash some of their belly into
you, including the bacteria causing Lyme disease. For me, I'd rather dig out
a few mouthbits and clean it out than risk them leaving some infectious
juice behind. But that's just me.
Here is the official CDC recommendation, FWIW:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/ld_tickremoval.htm

Onto the girly stuff! Some girls have raved over the Diva cup. I myself use
a similar product, the Instead cup, which is a flexible ring and a
cellophane-ish cup; I regularly rinse and re-use without incident during a
cycle. Plus, they accomodate amorous encounters, if you catch my drift....

On that note, everyone have a nice evening! Liz.