[pct-l] Things I wish someone had told me before I started my thru-hike:

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Mon Mar 8 15:43:15 CST 2010

Good tips.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with #2 though.  The lighter your gear, the
more room you have for food, water, etc before you're suffering from the
weight.  This is particularly true with frameless packs, the general rule of
thumb being that they work well for total loads around 20lb or less, but can
feel uncomfortable above.

I reduced my weight from about 12lb in 2007 to 7lb in 2008 and though I only
hiked about 90 miles in 2008, I felt like that 5lb made a VERY noticeable
difference.

I had a competition in Lake Isabella in 07 with Mr. Fusion to see who could
carry the heaviest food load from there to Kennedy Meadows - cans of chili,
seafood chowder, canned fruit, avocados, case of bear, burritos ... it was a
heavy (and delicious) load.  If my base weight had been five or ten pounds
heavier I would have had to dump the beer!

Potential 178
www.hikefor.com