[pct-l] mistakes I made while hiking the PCT

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Tue Mar 9 13:50:49 CST 2010

I think this trail wisdom of Scott's is invaluable.  I haven't hiked
south of the southern Kennedy Meadows, but have hiked in 95 degree heat
north of Burney Falls and in southern Oregon.  It's brutal...

The one thing I would add to his list is to plan on fewer miles per day
from the start.  I've done lots of section hikes which means I've
started long hikes numerous times.  It turns out (for me) it doesn't
matter what kind of shape I'm in.  I need to start slow and build up the
miles.   There are plenty of places to hike 30+ miles per day later in
the hike.    To be sure I get up there more quickly if I'm aerobically
fit prior to the hike.

That and zeros taken liberally in the first six weeks as your body
adjusts to a different kind of life.  I don't care how many day hikes
you take, or runs you make, unless you've spent week after week on the
trail your body is going to freak.  Whether it's blisters or a sprain or
a muscle strain or pull, or complaining joints or emotional wondering
"what the hell am I doing and why am I doing this?" - the mind/body
system is going to be in high anxiety for a while.

I've found that I stay in trail shape for about two weeks after stopping
hiking.  After that it's a pretty quick/steep decline.  I started hiking
after a three week layoff after a seven week section hike and it was
like starting all over again.  Groan...

Just some thoughts...

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD