[pct-l] mistakes I made while hiking the PCT

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Tue Mar 9 20:46:19 CST 2010

When I read or hear hikers talking about how great X is because its low sodium or complain about how much sodium is in Y, I cringe.  A low sodium diet really has no place in backpacking for long periods of time especially in warm weather.  What is healthy at home isn't necessary the case when one is physically active all day.

On my hike, I did a 10 day with no resupply from Red's Meadow to Echo Summit and threw out most of my salty snacks to lighten up the heavy load.  I had reduced my electolyte drink intake as I wasn't in the desert anymore and temperatures were comfortable and thus didn' think I needed them anymore.  Big mistake.  I was still 3 days from Echo Summit and I realized I was drinking a lot of water and still felt thirsty all the time.  Fortunately I recognized what was happening and begged/borrowed/stole things with sodium from other hikers.  I never repeated that mistake again.

-Miner

Yes, I'm talking about hyponatremia.

Prevention is always best, but if you read the trailjournals, you'll
see that so many people suffer from it but they have no idea what it
is. They keep powering down gatorade and energy bars and feeling
worse. Once you get to the point that you feel this bad, prevention
is too late. You need a cure.

Lay off the sugar. Eat some salt. Forget about what your doctor told
you about salt!! I can't believe how many times I've read about that
on trailjournals, too. People say their doctor warned them to avoid
salt and then they collapse on the PCT from lack of salt. Forget all
that modern medicine stuff aimed at sedentary people who only get
exercise walking to the mailbox. You are sweating your way through 20
miles a day of hot sun and shadeless scrub. You need salt.

I used to make fun of my old Geology professor for his old-fashioned
ways, carrying salt tabs and forcing us to carry them too. But he was
right. You need salt. You can get it from food or bring a little of
the lite salt and put it in your drinks.

Just be aware of the symptoms of hyponatremia: You are thirsty,
drinking lots and not feeling quenched. You're feeling weaker and
weaker, queasy and just not right. Stop drinking until you can
consume some salt. Lay off the sugar. Once you get your body back
into balance, you'll feel better.