[pct-l] thru-hiking the PCT with our 13-18 month old child

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 9 20:59:08 CST 2010

"...my wife and I will be thru-hiking the PCT in 2011 with our 13-18 month old child."

I am not sure that this is such a good idea.  Southern California will be very hot and dry and your child will require water, shade, water, sun screen and more water, as will you.  Yes, it sounds like a real family together thing to do but I invite you to really think this through.  Your small child is not an iron man, just a small child.  Should he/she get sun stroke  or heat exhaustion in the desert it could be serious.  Have you spoken with the child's doctor about your plan?

Shepherd