[pct-l] Thru-hiking the PCT with 13-18 month child

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Tue Mar 9 21:27:38 CST 2010

Last year I met the "People of the Goat". They were hiking with their 10 month old baby. Lady Goat Person carried the infant while the 19 goats carried all their gear. They only covered about 6 miles a day but they were the happiest little family I ever met on a trail.
Lady Goat Person made a special shirt that held her baby letting her walk hands free. The baby had lots of protective clothing as the goats allowed them to carry any and all needs.
I don't know much about hiking with children but I know they did so succesfully if not very far each day.
I must add that while Mother and baby were very healthy looking, Mr Goat Person was quite thin and pale. I learned first hand that Women react quite differently to the stresses of hiking... IE they don't get all skinny and scraggly like us guys. Female bodies go into some sort of "survival" mode while we become starved little shrunken men.
I am getting a little off topic.. Sorry.
Perhaps a backup plan would be a good idea. A good friend or family member could use a car to provide support along the tougher sections of trail in case the little one needs a break.
Then again our ancestors travelled great distances with children.. Might be an epic Adventure!
Best of Luck!
-Iceaxe PCT09

Sent on the Go from a Peek Email Device.
HikeStrong2010.com Benefits Cancer Research