[pct-l] Resupply plan for review

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Wed Mar 10 02:17:52 CST 2010

Hey Jim

A few observations

A) a lot of hikers end up off trail in the first few hundred miles with
stress injuries.  I think it's a very common mistake to start with near 20
mile days, even if you're fit enough to do it.

B) it's true we do need to average 20 miles a day overall, but I think that
most often ends up being higher after the Seirras - hikers frequently
average 25+ in northern California and Oregon.

C) In 07 almost all the hikers I knew on the trail slowed down more than
they expected in the Sierras, averaging 15 miles a day for the first few
days out of KM.  It was hot and dry and water was still scarce.  Others do
manage 20+ miles a day, but it can still be hot and the altitude does effect
a lot of hikers, so be prepared to potentially be in that group.

D) May 24th in KM may be quite early, particularly if this is an average or
above average snow year.  The right day to leave KM for safe snow levels is
theoretically June 15th, but of course that varies each year.

As for resupplies:

E) Idylwild is a great town and has a full grocery store, an outfitter, and
a couple other sources for food treats on the trail.  I wouldn't mail a
package there.

F) As Jason pointed out, Lone Pine is a good resupply town, you'll enjoy it,
hitch over from Independence.

So, in general I'd say slow down in so-cal.  Less miles per day in the first
few sections, more zero days, aim to hit KM in mid-June (depending on gossip
about snow conditions) and expect to pick up the pace later on and average
bigger days.  Of course, then you'd have our plan.  ;-)

See you on the trail!

Potential 178
www.hikefor.com