[pct-l] Thru-hiking the PCT with 13-18 month child

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Wed Mar 10 11:42:36 CST 2010

This same issue came up about this time last year over at the Backpackinglight.com forum. The parents were planning a 560 mile (900 km), 2 month through-hike of the Pyrennees (the GR 10) with their 3 month old baby girl. As here, a wide range of comments erupted from both the experienced, inexperienced, parents, and non-parents. The reader can decide who was qualified to comment and who is just spouting theory. I'd suggest everyone read this thread. .

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=20639

And here's the article and trip report written by the parents afterwards:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/babyonboard.html

Yes, the little girl (Flora) survived just fine and reportedly enjoyed the whole trip; Mom and Dad merely survived. I like the lead-in to the report:

"Hiking through the French Pyrenees is challenging for any young couple hoping to enjoy some relaxation and romance in between climbing passes and breaking camp. The afternoon heat - often ending in a violent thunderstorm - brings more than one overloaded backpacker to boiling point. Now enter a six-kilo, breast-fed, three-month-old baby. Great family trip or a bad idea?"

Wandering Bob