[pct-l] The Desert

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Mar 10 16:21:09 CST 2010

There's not much to add. You make excellent points. Especially about
getting up early to enjoy the coolness and beauty.

I think the only thing I would add is to try to appreciate it. Too
many people treat Southern California as an obstacle to get past.
They think the real hike starts after Kennedy Meadows. Appreciate
that you're not battling mosquitoes, not being rained on, you don't
have to walk across the desert you see far below you from the lofty
crest, there's no humidity and this year there will likely be
abundant wildflowers. Everyone has the fire in their eyes at this
point. You'll come really close to the Condor Sanctuary just after
visiting the Andersons. Maybe you'll see one. In many ways, the start
of the trail is the best time on the trail.

Diane