[pct-l] Hiking with Kids

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Mar 10 21:10:44 CST 2010

Good evening,

Even though I began hiking and camping during the Truman Administration I
haven’t taken an infant or toddler on an extended PCT hike so I guess not
qualified to offer suggestions.  I do know that hiking/camping with kids has
proven very rewarding for my family.  My oldest kid went hiking on the PCT
with my wife and me in June of 1969 when she was 6 months old and the PCT
was about 9 months old.  We hiked mostly in the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness in
the area between Pamelia and Marion Lakes, but seldom for more than a long
weekend.  Longer trips came later.

As an infant she was carried in front in a sling arrangement but later she
rode in one of the old Camp Trails kid seat aluminum pack frames.  Two
adults and an urchin in a little pack-tent was a real hoot.  Later still a
second little girl inherited the sling in front so I had one front and one
in back.  It actually balanced pretty well except they and the gear together
weighed around 35-40 lbs.  Eventually a third little girl joined the group
but by then the older two were fully pedestrian on their own.  Similar
training is now in process with three little grandchildren.

After college the oldest girl served in Army Intelligence on drug indication
missions in Central American and the Caribbean.  From those “adventures” she
often told me how much she appreciated the confidence she gained through her
early outdoor experience, whether it was hiking in the Northwest or canoe
camping in upper Mid-West and Canada.

I’d be happy to take a kid along today – provided doing so didn’t push my
base weight above 10 lbs.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09