[pct-l] Mistakes

Junaid Dawud jdawud at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 23:13:26 CST 2010

Ok, so in 2006 I set out to thru-hike the pct. At that point I had
hiked no farther than 60 miles at most. I was an avid and adventurous
day hiker and short distance bakcpacker, but i was by no means a real
backpacker. The first mistake I made was pushing too hard going into
mt laguna because I wanted to be there by noon. It ended up resulting
in what was probably a small tear in the menial miniscus. I used
aleve  and a knee brace, and just toughed it out. It took over a month
to  feel right again.

The second mistake I made (or perhaps actually the first) was having
shoes that were too tight in the toe box and ultimately just too
small. My foot ended up expanding in the desert and I wasn't able to
replace my shoes soon enough to prevent some unpleasant blisters.

My third mistake was to send too many resupply packages. I should
have  relied more on the local grocery stores, which were often just
fine to  resupply out of. I should have sent fewer, smaller, more
'specialized'  resupply packages.

Next, would have have to be the one that cost me completion: too many
zeros, neros, and side trips. Beware of the town vortex, the purely
lazy zero, and the appealing side trip that only takes a couple of
days. All of these add up, and before you know it, you're getting
snowed on in Oregon, ridng out storms in washington, and eventually
having to face the fact that the 3 feet of snow that just dumped on
you during the last two nights isn't going to melt until spring.

Next would be drinking untreated water in KM. Then, sending a package
to VVR, I think the owner was shady. This year I'll be trying to send
it to mono hotsprings, a few miles down the road, with a free campsite
and HOTSPRINGS.

I sent my package to shelter cove via usps rather than ups, so it
never arrived. I had to use the hiker box to resupply.

Those are probably the main ones, but I'm sure there were tons of
other small mistakes.

Junaid aka speshul 41