[pct-l] Walking with child

Tom Bache tbache at san.rr.com
Thu Mar 11 11:26:54 CST 2010

Watching this thread reminds me of how "over-civilized" we have all become
-- even many of those who choose to spend months hiking a long trail.  Our
species has spent many tens of thousands of years migrating with their
babies before civilization offered an alternative.  Go to sub-Saharan Africa
today, and you will see women carrying babies along every roadway --
sometimes for distances that would impress a thru-hiker.  And they are often
carrying little but baby.  Yes, their life expectancy is low, but this is
probably a consequence of poor sanitation and lack of medicine -- things the
Leichty family can easily avoid.

So from a broad human perspective, going for a long walk with baby is
nothing unusual.  It is also worth remembering that many of our California
forebearers did it 1840-1870 -- sometimes having babies along the way.

In my urban community, people who know nothing about living outdoors are
often shocked at the reckless daring of a solo backpack trip (no doubt, they
think it irresponsible).  The people on this list are farther down the path
toward easy co-existence with nature, but maybe not as far as we should be.

Now when we hear of a couple who wants to walk the trail and have a baby
along the way .....

Tom Bache
San Diego