[pct-l] Bivy?

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Thu Mar 11 18:23:38 CST 2010

>You had some other technique to ward off the bugs, right?  I just find it
>hard to believe you could hike the PCT without having some strategy
>for keeping the bugs away at night.

Well for one thing, I treated all my clothing/hat with Permithrin at Kennedy Meadows and I wore long pants and sleeves.  This worked to keep the bugs away from me for the most part.  With the exception of Northern Yosemite which is the only 2 days I used DEET on the entire trail.I sometimes used a headnet in camp or on long breaks if they were really bad (Rae Lakes, N. Yosemite).

I never was one to hang out inside a tent so any bug shelter would only be used when I go to sleep.  I cowboyed camp for all but 9 nights on the trail when weather threatened.   I tended to camp high (below the snow line though) so it was usually too cold for them.  In lower elevations, I continued to get before dawn (just like in SoCAL)) before the mosquitos are active.  In fact, it was usually the first lone one buzzing near my ear that woke me up many mornings and provided motivation to get moving rather then sleep in as I knew I'd be swarmed if I stayed for much longer.  I only go to bed after it gets dark and most mosquitos quickly leave.  I sometimes went to bed with a headnet on, but usually only did so for a short while before taking it off as the mosquitos were soon gone.  The few nights they were really bad, I slept in my regular bivy sack with it zipped shut, which does have a netting over the face area.  Though once again, I normally opened it up after they left when the temperatures started to drop.

I sent the bug bivy home in Mammoth Lakes because it wasn't too warm to use my regular bivy sack which also offers weather and wind protection.  If I had been hiking back east where the night temperatures are much warmer, I might have kept the bug bivy instead since it's cooler to sleep in.

I hiked the Sierras with only a handful of bites (mostly on the hands).  My methods work for my hiking style.  I'm fully aware it wouldn't work for everyone just as tarping or cowboy camping doesn't.