[pct-l] TORTILLAS!!!

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Thu Mar 11 21:05:02 CST 2010

God I LOVE Tortillas!
I have had great luck with El Aguila Brand back here at home. I never refridgerate them and have never had them get moldy. I eat two a day usually with peanut butter, cheese, SPAM, or tuna, and sometimes a combination of those. A ten pack lasts me 5 work days (Breakfast and dinner!).
I just bought whatever brand I could get on the trail and all of them lasted just fine as I ate 3 per day on the trail. Though tortialls are not really Calorie dense I found I never tire of them.. MMM Nutella and Honey warmed on the alcohol stove.. (Much Salivating!)
Anyhow, I think my high rate of consumption precluded any chance for them to grow visible mold.
Let's face it, tortillas are heavy per unit calorie (1 lb 8oz per 10 large @ 190 Kcal each or a total of 1900 Kcal for the pack.
The reason I accepted the weight trade off is the simplicity it imparts to mealtime and no bowl to clean.
I always carried them in their own zip pack and kept it closed religeously when not retrieving them.
Hey, SteelEye told me a great story how he had packed his bear can with packs of tortillas and jars of peanut butter and jam for a Sierra crossing.
I think it was SteelEye that told me that anyways.
I am not sure if the ones I bought in various towns were loaded with preservatives of what but I never lost a tortilla on the trail to spoilage nor met a tortilla I did not like.
Oh Yea, I am speaking of Flour tortillas.. As I found out in Old Station Corn tortillas make poor PB and J's and are rather crumbly.  ;)
Thanks for reminding me.. I am eating one now!
-Iceaxe

Sent on the Go from a Peek Email Device.
HikeStrong2010.com Benefits Cancer Research