[pct-l] VVR

Jim Keener ( J J ) pct2010 at ridgetrailhiker.com
Thu Mar 11 22:19:22 CST 2010

Hi Scott,

Other places take packages and I don't know of any other that sell the contents of unclaimed packages. Shady? That's a matter of opinion. I'm glad It's disclosed on the website. Probably makes it legal. Don't know. I'm not a lawyer.

I was planning to go to VVR this year, thinking the snow load might keep other places closed: Muir Trail Ranch and Red's Meadow (Mammoth). I prefer Red's Meadow (Mammoth). To me, far more bang for the buck. This year I plan to mail a package to the store at Red's Meadow and stay on the trail. Unless I'm ahead of schedule. Then I'll go into Mammoth. Big grocery stores, outfitter, lots of dining options, and as someone else wrote - movies.

What I do like about VVR? Hiker camaraderie. The place itself is nothing special to me.

What I don't like? No alternatives. One place to eat. Very limited store - unless a lot of hikers did not claim their boxes ; = ), limited access and departure times. I had a sense of being stuck. And yes, we ended up hiking out.

VVR awesome? Nah. But the hikers there can make it seem like it is.

I want to read about complaints, not stifle them. To me, a customer's response is more important than an employee's.

Walk well,
Jim Keener ( J J )

jj at ridgetrailhiker.com

http://postholer.com/jj