[pct-l] VVR

rockmarkstar at aol.com rockmarkstar at aol.com
Thu Mar 11 23:28:40 CST 2010

Bill,

I apologize if this is slightly off the topic of defending your friend, but who is Lester?
When I passed through VVR last August on the JMT, I had a conversation one night
with an older man sitting on the back of his pickup truck near one of the trailers. I
couldn't see his face, if I remember correctly he had only one leg, and he told me the
most amazing stories about his life, living in the west, and the Sierra. It was like I was
talking to the ghost of an old cowboy or 49er from the wild west. He offered to give me
a ride in the morning to the trail head after breakfast,but I never saw him again. I would
not have known what he looked like anyhow, but I was certain I would recognize the
voice of the storyteller. Was this Lester?

For what it's worth, my dinner and PCT breakfast were fantastic. The Bear Ridge Trail
(from VVR back to the JMT) sucks, in fact it was the worst section of the JMT for me.
This year, I'll pay the few extra bucks and take the ferry back to the trail head.

-Flyboxer