[pct-l] The Do-rag Filter

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 12 21:19:42 CST 2010

First I get the bandanna wet, then I wrap the rag around the "big mouth" opening of a plastic soda bottle. I make a one inch depression into the bottle opening with my finger, creating a small filter. Submerge the bottle, rapidly squeeze and release the bottle to coax the water through the rag. It takes just a few seconds. If the water is particularly dirty I'll double layer the bandanna over the bottle mouth or filter a second time, pouring from bottle to bottle. I do this for most water sources unless it's direct spring water. Not a perfect system but it works for me.

As someone else mentioned it is a good idea to carry a small cup or other means of accessing shallow or hard to get to sources.

I've used coffee filters in the past but found the process very time consuming. The filter will remove more particulate than a do-rag but I'm not expecting a pristine bottle of water. Most of the water sources on the PCT are fairly clean and don't really require filtering. Guzzlers and water tanks, cattle troughs, some lakes; these are the usual poor sources.

I also have used a bandanna in Washington streams to keep out bits of moss.

jason