[pct-l] Tetraglycine Hydroperiodine

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 14 19:38:17 CDT 2010

The local equipment store near me, an Adventure 16, carries something called Tetraglycine Hydroperiodine for water treatment under the brand name Portable Aqua.  It is 16.7% with 83% being listed as "other ingredients".  I have used it on several backpacking trips without ill effect.  I like it becouse it is a single tablit, no mixing, and the water is ready in 1/2 hour.

What I don't know is how this differes from 100% iodine, or even if I would want to use 100% iodine.  I don't know how effective this is agenist verises or other little nasties.

My plan is to use this as a back-up to my Steri-Pen, while hiking in the Sierra's, where I am fairly confident about the water anyway.  But as I find myself using this combination more and more and sometimes leaving the Steri-pen at home, I am wondering if my confidence in the Tetraglycine Hydroperiodine is well placed or if I am falling victum to the "Ignorence is bliss" effect.

As always, your feed-back is greatfully apresheated.

Shepherd