[pct-l] Bivy

Steve McAllister brooklynkayak at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 11:50:04 CDT 2010

I don't recommend silnylon as bivy top material. It doesn't breath. May be
OK for emergencies, but as you noted, it gets damp inside.
If a tarp or other shelter is not gonna be used, waterproof breathable would
be better(Gortex and others), but it will still get damp inside.

My emergency shelter is a 5 oz, 5'X9' tarp and a highly breathable bivy. My
bivy has a silnylon bottom and a pertex or momentum fabric (I forget which)
top.
The tarp deflects most rain/snow and the bivy keeps the bag dry when rain
blows in. The highly breathable fabric is more comfortable and drier than
the other options. Drier means that your insulation will be more effective
so you can bring a lighter sleeping quilt/bag of just wear your cloths to
bed.

stevie

--
"His eyes were cold.  As cold as the bitter winter snow that was falling
outside.  Yes, cold and therefore difficult to chew..."