[pct-l] Using a GPS

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 14:28:33 CDT 2010

I've noticed a trend to more and more people using a GPS on the PCT/JMT.

Is it really needed?  The PCT is extremely well marked and in the Sierra (when
the PCT hikers are typically coming through), it is pretty straight forward
to go over the passes with some basic map reading.

Just curious why this trend towards a GPS?

Cool to have? Price is low now-a-days? Do people feel the need for it?
An insurance policy of sorts to solve the WTF factor? Having a GPS
in lieu of map and compass?

Not trying to start a debate. Just honestly curious why more people are
taking a GPS on the PCT.

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/