[pct-l] Using a GPS

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 17:37:27 CDT 2010

Hi,

When hiking said trails, did you ever cover any distances where the trail
was constantly buried under snow for several miles at a time?  If so,
wouldn't a GPS have been easier than a map and compass in those situations?

I do a lot of off trail hiking too (in Oregon), but that - kind of by
definition - doesn't require we try to keep track of a trail under the snow.

I guess anyone out there who's experienced White Pass (flat as a pancake) in
the early season - when it's covered in snow - and the trail goes unseen for
- literally - several miles at a time.... those people would agree that a
GPS is worth bringing.

I didn't have a GPS there, so all I could do was set a baring South,
eventually ran into the highway, and then hitch to the post office from
there (supreme pain in the butt, let me tell you).  I would have gladly
carried the 6oz GPS so that I could be guided along the right path, save a
ton of time and energy, and been much safer.

But again, I stress, I was going southbound after a very heavy snow year -
two things that 95% of PCT thru hikers don't need to worry about.

Well, I did the PCT..and the CDT. and whatever else (Canadian Rockies off

--
Austin Williams
PlanYourHike.com

"The mountains are calling and I must go."   -John Muir