[pct-l] Jim still has the best answer :)

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Tue Mar 16 01:08:55 CDT 2010

>I believe you can find your way just fine on the PCT even without a
>map or compass. In fact, I sent my compass home very early on.

I'm glad it worked for you, but I suspect it won't work for everyone.

I somehow got off trail 3 times when I wasn't looking at my map (and probably wasn't looking at anything other then my feet) and it was only looking at the map that helped me figure out I wasn't on the right trail and saved me some time and grief getting back on track, I shudder at the thought of sending my maps home.  And considering how many times I've read in journals about people trying to climb the wrong snow covered pass in the High Sierra due to assuming what was the correct pass and not checking their compass/map, sending them home just seems... not wise   Sure you can attach yourself to someone else who "knows" where they are going, but is it smart to rely on someone else like that?

People arriving in the High Sierra late can more easily get away with it as can section hikers who can plan their timing in various sections more easily.  But even then, I personally wouldn't want to count on it.  The SAR guys already have enough idiots to rescue and I'd die of embarrassment if I ever was added to their lost list.  Some of my hiking friends would never let me live it down.

Besides, my tiny sighting mirror compass (Brunton 27LU) only weighs 0.8oz.  It doubled as a mirror to fish things out of my eye (I needed it twice for that) and might be useful as a signal mirror (never tried it but it might work).

-Miner