[pct-l] Resupply Food Spoiling

Daniel Cross dan_cross43 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 16 11:59:08 CDT 2010

When I did the AT, I bagged many of my dinners in quart-sized freezer bags before leaving home in March.  I was still eating those meals in September and had no problem with them.  Of course, they were all dehydrated.  Some of the veggies I had to blanch beforehand so they wouldn't spoil.  Here's a website that talks about the blanching process:
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09308.html

But it sounds like you're talking specifically of bulk items.  I did carry trail mix, but didn't make it all before hitting the trail.  My fiance was my "gorp master" and made up batches of it every few weeks to send in my resupply boxes.  I don't know how it would've worked if I'd made up all the trail mix beforehand.

Hope that helps!

Bear Can