[pct-l] Jim still has the best answer :)

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Tue Mar 16 14:01:57 CDT 2010

 From my old history we were doing the Hat Creek Rim. I had my GPS along
and had loaded waypoints for potential road crossing where we would
cache water. Driving out to put out the caches before we started, the
GPS was useful in determing which roads were the roads we wanted. One
was more of a lane with no recent traffic apparent. Also used the GPS to
mark out water caches. This helped.

When I got back, I uploaded our track to the computer.  In TOPO! the
track was off a little from the trail in TOPO!. In DeLorme the trail was
way, way off from actual, so far off it could have lead one astray.

So GPSs are handy and so are maps. But either or both may be wrong --
trail mapped inaccurately or relocated since the maps were made and updated.

Tortoise

Because truth matters"