[pct-l] Rescue in the desert

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Tue Mar 16 17:43:42 CDT 2010

Waiting for a helicopter rescue? Then don't just stand around waving. First,
from the air your head, as big as you think it is, is just a speck in the
landscape. Mirrors work good. Spreading out a mylar or brightly colored
object (orange thermarest?) works, or hold it out and wave it up and down.
Second, waving your hands overhead is a sign that the landing conditions are
dangerous and they should NOT land! I suspect most pilots will assume you
don't know that, but why take the chance. Mirrors, blankets, spell out SOS,
all much more visible from a distance. (The pros use smoke, but we hikers
wouldn't carry that.)