[pct-l] Jim still has the best answer :)

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Tue Mar 16 18:23:55 CDT 2010

>>Seriously??? I am concerned that too deliberately go out in bad conditions
>>thinking "I have a GPS, I have a cell phone, forget the excess heat, don't
>>worry about the sick dude, ignore the dense fog, don't bother nothing
>>direction of exit before climbing, just press on, we can call for help!"

>>Yes, GPS would have made these conditions easier. But, continuing on in
>>104 degree heat with a sick guy shouldn't have happened, not knowing the
>>way down in a fog after a rock climb shouldn't have happened, didn't have
>>to happen. Knowing when to turn around is a skill too many don't have. The
>>mountain will still be there tomorrow, the trail will still be there.

Well, yes, there were mistakes made, stupid things done. The leader who lead that hike where we got sick used to schedule all our hikes for our club (Name withheld to protect the guilty). After this experience I took over scheduling the hikes so it would never happen again and it hasn't.

But you miss the point of the stories. These all happened prior to GPS being available to consumers and only a few people had cell phones. I'm not advocating relying on a GPS and cell phone to engage in risky behavior. As Nixon said, "We could do that, but it would be wrong."

The point of the stories:

1. You may have a tragedy happen and you may have to tell rescue workers exactly where you are.

2. At points on the PCT the trail is marked with local trail names and signs for local destinations that may not be in the guide book.

3. You may not be able to see where you are going and a GPS would help.

That's all. And a little bit of humor...I was hoping at least.

TrailHacker