[pct-l] Interactive snow depth chart

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Mar 16 20:44:35 CDT 2010

Good evening, Eugene,

While I seldom meet an info-map that I don’t like, this one seems less
useful than the others I like to watch.  My main complaint is that it
nominally displays snow water equivalent in inches, which doesn’t pass the
all-important, “So what?” test.  Water equivalent is probably useful to
water managers but without lots of study and cross-reference it won’t tell
us how existing conditions compare to an average or some year to which we
can relate.

I prefer  http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/products/PLOT_SWC.2010.pdf  for
the Sierras, and http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/westsnow.pl for the
west in general.