[pct-l] Ipod Nano

Erik the Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Wed Mar 17 12:40:02 CDT 2010

If you wish to have a permanent record from your hike I would reconsider
using video. Digital video technology is changing all the time and twenty
years from now you may find that your videos are no longer watchable.

I used to be a 3d animator and much of my work from the mid 90s is
completely lost because it was created using software that no longer exists
on operating systems that are not compatible with current hardware and saved
in file formats that are no longer supported on media that is obsolete.

Your grandchildren will not be able to view an Ipod video circa 2010 because
that technology will have been long since abandoned and forgotten. So will
DVDs and any other method available today for storing digital video.

But no matter what happens you can always show them a regular old printed
photograph.

Happy trails,
Erik the Black

Pacific Crest Trail Atlas 2nd Edition