[pct-l] ULA Potty Trowel

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Thu Mar 18 10:56:54 CDT 2010

I carried a CAMP lightweight ice axe in 2006 and while it is certified and worked well for snow travel in soft and morning crusted snow as well as for the long glissades, they are simply too-light to do anything such as cut steps in icy slopes.  We had two occassions to do this in 2006 and I had to laugh when the aluminum pick just bounced off the icy surface.  Personally, I would not take one of these lightweight axes on my Ranier and Shasta summit attempts, but by all means they work pretty good for most conditions on the PCT during heavy snow years, as long as you don't get off-trail on very icy slopes :(

Elevator