[pct-l] Lightweight axes

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Thu Mar 18 13:14:03 CDT 2010

We see a lot of CAMP ice axes and for self-arrest training they do quite well. However, Elevator's point should be seriously considered and the question asked, " What do I expect to be able to do with it?"

If you expect to encounter ice on those early morning ascents and descents on Sierra passes and you know that your slippery shoes need the ice roughed up a bit or at least flattened out, then a more durable axe might be needed. You could always wait a little while for the sun to soften the crust....

The bigger issues, as we see them, are
- do you know when you're going to need the axe? (meaning, can you recognize a dangerous stretch ahead, are you capable of slowing down to get across it safely rather than reacting after slipping), and
- once spotting the shinny slope ahead, can you drop your pack, take your axe in hand, then proceed safely?

We find that thru hikers have a hard time slowing down and often (according to their own accounts) plow on through, fail to recognize dangerous conditions ahead, and slip and fall with their axes still strapped to their packs!

What to do about it? Education and training (experience) makes for safer travels because you learn what is actually out there and how to deal with it. But who has the time? If you learn with a guide, even if you get hurt practicing, you'll get through it and learn from it and that's certainly better than learning the hard way on your thru hike miles from the trailhead....

Food for Thought.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
P.O. Box 1477