[pct-l] Speaking of the Big Horn Plateau

Scott Herriott yetifan at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 18 19:20:41 CDT 2010

Jim wrote:

<I have seen some great outdoors photography. I have some friends who
are gifted photographers. But. I have yet to see a photograph of the
Big Horn Plateau that captures its grandeur. I suppose this is a
challenge. , = )>

It's truly one of the most beautiful spots on the PCT.  I don't think photos can do it justice since it's one of those places whose 360 degree view is so stunning that a 2D shot falls way short of matching a real life encounter.  Quick story...when I hiked through there in '06, Zack, one of the party I was walking with, was sitting very contemplatively on this big rock just off to the right of the trail on the Bighorn Plateau.  When I got to where he was he looked at me very seriously and said (I paraphrase) "Don't you think the odds are overwhelming that John Muir sat on this rock?".  I thought about it for a few seconds, knowing that Muir had been there, and agreed since it seemed to be one of the very few places, besides the ground, to sit for a spell and enjoy the surroundings.

Squatch
www.walkpct.com
20% of all DVD proceeds to the PCTA until April 16th