[pct-l] Pack weight

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 19 00:02:57 CDT 2010

Adam,

I wouldn't sweat the small stuff. 13# is a reasonable weight. You'll have a chance to send home the items that you realize that you don't need at mile 1.3, 41.7, 66.6... you get the point. Plus, you will pass many garbage cans.

If your main three items, pack/bag/shelter are as light as you can/are willing to go, the rest is irrelevant. Through the course of the summer the contents of your pack may grow or shrink in relation to your most current needs. If you are looking at the contents of your bag and you don't see anything that you feel that you could do without, then I'd say that 13# is what works for you.

When I'm shakin' down my gear and I get down to that last item or two that I can't decide on, I ask myself, "is this a need or a want?" That usually decides it. But if I've stripped every last bit of extraneous gear and all I'm left with is deciding on a small pile of items that weigh an once or two and the net penalty is like 4oz I take a deep breath and return to reality. Lite is alright but if I can't carry an extra 4oz then I don't have a chance in hell in making it to Canada. Do your best to whittle it down and then just realize that nobody says that you have to carry all the gear you show up with to Canada.

jason