[pct-l] Some knowledge and advice needed

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Fri Mar 19 11:24:50 CDT 2010

> I lack the local knowledge of the trail and the connected logistics
> of long distance hiking. My later arrival in the US will prevent me
> from attending the ADZPCTKO and gaining valuable tips and info.
>
> ...help me understand the local geography, resupply options and different
> weather/snow limitations and different sections of the trail??

Gideon,

There's tons of information online, too... Start with the PCTA website:
<http://www.pcta.org/>, mouse over "About the Trail" and click on "Overview" -
links on the left of that page give description of the 5 major geographical
sections of the PCT... Also check out the "FAQs" page... As for 'hiking &
planning', mouse over the "Trip Planning" header...

See <http://postholer.com/faq.php> for PCT FAQs, also - includes many links
to additional information...

Finally, welcome to the pct-l... Ask more specific questions here - or scan
the archives at <http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/>...
You can search pct-l for specific subjects with Google Advanced Search at
<http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en> - use the above pct-l archive URL
in "Search within a site or domain" field and hat you are looking for under the
"Find web pages that have" fields...

Hope that helps in getting you started...
FWIW, there will be quite a few "late" (in May) starters this year - so you will
likely have 'some' company on the trail if you so desire...

Good luck. Enjoy the journey!

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)