[pct-l] Entering the High Sierra around May 20?

Jason Perkins perkinsj08 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 20:06:58 CDT 2010

Hi everybody,

I'm a first time hiker on the PCT planning a pretty extensive section hike
to last from mid-April to the end of June. A friend and I plan to hike north
from Campo to somewhere around Soda Springs starting around April 14th, and
I had a question for you seasoned veterans about an idea I had on how to
best navigate the high country of the Sierras in late May. Our dates are
pretty fixed, but our route is somewhat flexible. Our original basic plan
looks like this:

April 14--Heading north from Campo
May 20--Arrive at Kennedy Meadows
June 20-25--Arrive in Soda Springs

 But since it's a heavier than average snow year, and May 20 is early for
Kennedy Meadows anyway, I don't think it'd be wise (or much fun) to try
going north from there so early. I was thinking instead that because of the
more gradual elevation rise, it would be less exhausting and probably a more
enjoyable hike if we hopped a bus from Bakersfield up to Soda Springs and
then headed back south from Tahoe:

April 14--Head north from Campo
May 20--Get bus at Bakersfield headed for Truckee/Soda Springs
May 22--Start heading back south on PCT
June 20-25--Arrive in Independence/Lone Pine area

Obviously there'll be a lot of snow either way, which we're prepared for,
however I was wondering if you all thought it would be a more enjoyable hike
to do it like this instead of heading north from Kennedy Meadows so early.
So... thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Thanks, I've been helped out a lot
from everybody on the mailing list already.

Happy hiking,

Jason