[pct-l] Plantar Fascitis

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Sat Mar 20 12:10:16 CDT 2010

Hello Gang!
I was an avid (rabid!?) hiker even before the PCT last year. I had carried 35 lb packs into the Sierra for 100 mile trips and hiked every weekend with a daypack. Never had any pain in my feet that was not due to kicking something or stepping on broken glass at the beach.
Last year my feet were like a rock untill I began to increase my daily mileage above 25 MI/day.
I increasingly began to have classic Plantar Fascitis pain. I would stretch each morning and massage my feet at night as well as elevate them while sleeping. All of that helped but the pain continued all the way to Canada and has just now completely dissappeard.
Obviously everyones feet and experience will be different but I just wanted to put this out there.
I was initially a little concerned but after talking to and reading the journals of other folks I found out it is quite common.
I must add that the pain was most evident after sitting or sleeping and would mostly vanish after the first couple of miles in the day.
In my case I am almost 100% certain my Plantar Fascitis pain began when my "big mile" hiking began.
Anyhow, the pain was not crippling and there seems to be no lasting ill effects.
I think all in all I will try to keep a lower MIle/day yet steadier pace(less lollygagging in towns!) for my next hike. CDT2010!!! YEEHAA!
I know this post is pretty general but I wanted to let future thru's know my experience with PF and to be wary of your foot health but never Afraid!
God(Insert appropriate Diety) Bless and God Speed Class of 2010!
Cheers-Iceaxe

HikeStrong2010.com Benefits Cancer Research
Sent on the go from my Peek