[pct-l] Inflatable mattresses

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Mon Mar 22 12:46:18 CDT 2010

Joan,

In 2006 I used the Big Agnes Air Core mat for my entire thru-hike.  I did not experience a single failure.  In fact I continue to use the same mat and I still have had no failures.   In SoCAL I typically used a tent with a silnylon floor which I placed upon a tyvek ground cloth.  I chose sites carefully and typically brushed the area with my shoes to ensure I did not see any thorns, small cactus or other protrusions that might cause a problem.  I actually had much better luck with my BA mat than several folks that carried the thermarest pro-lite pads as they were constantly patching these.  But, I rarely used my BA mat for a pad during rest breaks and such and only utilized it for sleeping.

Because I prefer the additional padding and couldn't give a darn about the weight savings, I would take a BA mat or something similar on my next thru.  I hear the new Themarest air core pads are very nice as well, but can't speak from personal experience as yet.

Elevator