[pct-l] A REAL iceaxe

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Mon Mar 22 19:18:44 CDT 2010

I'm sure I have an Aschenbrenner in my vintage ice axe collection, and I was
born in 1955!  If you're willing to carry the weight, your old friend will
continue to serve you well.  It would not be my first choice from my
collection to carry in the Sierra today or climb Mt Rainier, it would be my
2nd or 3rd choice.  If I had known it for 55yrs, it would be my only
choice!! Times have changed, as has the equipment and technology, but the
beauty and spirit of a vintage wooden handled ice axe that has been carried
in the same hands for 55 years is a trusted friend and a personal treasure.
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/image/91949361  a few
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/image/91949365
 I shared a few of my best vintage and modern ice axes with the group at the
ALDHAwest gathering in fall 2009.
~~^^~~^^~~
I recall that there was recent posts on the subject of Iceaxes. I  still
have the iceaxe that I originally bought in 1955.  It is an Aschenbrenner
and was made in Austria.  It weighs 2 1/2 pounds and its length comes up to
about 6'' below my elbow when I am standing. It's axe head was heavy enough
to effectively cut steps when traversing an icy slope. And it was long
enough to add stability downslope. I only recall having to use it for
self-arrest once.  (Of course I never had the benefit of having taken Ned's
course - everyone who would go through the Sierra when there is snow and ice
should take that course.)  I did a lot of climbing and backpacking,
including the JMT, in the Sierra during the 50's and 60's.  I often carried
my iceaxe - used it not only on snow and ice but also as a walking stick for
added stability pretty much as today's hikers use their hiking poles. I
can't remember when I first saw a hiker with hiking poles -
 perhaps it was Reinhold or maybe Steeleye. To me, some of today's iceaxes
that I see tied behind some hikers packs look rather short and probably too
light to be effective for cutting steps in ice or icy snow. Just a few
thoughts - - - .
MendoRider