[pct-l] Ground cloth

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Mon Mar 22 23:43:58 CDT 2010

> Do I really need one? What is it? I have always just ploped the tent down
with nothing... is this wrong?

Common options are Tyvek (extremely tough paper from construction sites) or
the groundsheets from Gossamer Gear, which look like plastic wrap but are
apparently fairly rugged, though I can't fathom how they would protect from
anything sharp.

As for needing one, that's debatable and depends on your set-up.  There's a
perception that the ultra-light nylon floors in tents such as Henry Shires'
Tarptents are not tough enough - but Henry's advice is not to bother with a
groundsheet unless sleeping on volcanic rock or unavoidable cactus spines.
The nylon floors are surprisingly tough.  I've done 2300+ PCT miles with
ultra-light nylon tents directly on the ground and never noticed any
punctures or tears - including pitching one night on a bed of broken tree
branches, the closest thing to flat I could find.

If you're cowboy camping, or using a tarp, then you'd want something between
you and the ground.  If you're sleeping on an air pad, then Tyvek seems like
a good idea..

Potential178
www.hikefor.com