[pct-l] Ground cloth

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Mon Mar 22 23:43:55 CDT 2010

CRYSTAL NEZGODA wrote:
> Do I really need one? What is it? I have always just ploped the tent
> down with nothing... is this wrong?

If your tent has a floor, you don't need to put a ground cloth under it,
though a ground cloth will probably prolong the life of the floor of the
tent.

Most nights you will probably want to sleep without a tent. When you
walk into camp exhausted, setting a tent up in good weather is more
trouble than it is worth, and it is nice not having to take a tent down
in the morning when you are watching the sun rise on what you expect to
be a 100+ degree F day.

Besides, many ultralight tents don't have floors.

All a ground cloth is is a sheet of plastic you put under your sleeping
bag to keep it out of the dirt.