[pct-l] Frogg-Toggs + pack cover vs poncho

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Tue Mar 23 01:17:14 CDT 2010

In the past I've used frogg-toggs and a pack cover, but I'm wondering about
the reduced weight and convenience of a single poncho thrown over self &
pack.  I made the mistake once of ignoring light rain until it became heavy
rain and sleet out of laziness, not wanting to dig into the pack for the
togs & cover - and a poncho seems like something that could be kept handy
and quickly put on/taken off.

The frogg-toggs jacket performs really well, and I've heard that ponchos
(plastic of nylon) feel fully wet against the skin.  The toggs are one
additional warmth layer, and are a great fashion statement when doing
laundry in town.

So, any opinions?  Pros/cons for either that I might be missing?

Potential 178

www.hikefor.com