[pct-l] The Packa vs seperate rain gear and pack cover

Dan Africk danstheman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 20:00:18 CDT 2010

I like the idea of The Packa, and I almost bought one. I figured I'll be
keeping my tent on the outside of my pack, so if I have to I can setup my
tent in the rain while wearing my pack, and that would deal with that issue.

But I realized that the Packa weighs 13oz, the same as my current, coated
nylon rain jacket, so the only weight I'd be saving is my 5oz pack cover(and
I could get an ultralight one for 3.2oz). Using the Driducks jacket, which
weighs about 6oz, saves me a full 7oz, and for way less money, so that's
what I'm doing for now. The Packa would need to weigh about 9oz to be
lighter than the lightest jacket + pack cover setup. The Packa is more
durable, and vents better, and covers the backpack straps, so its probably a
better option for wet areas. If the Packa was available in a lighter
version, perhaps sil-nylon, I think it would be a better trade off. I'm
still tempted to get one for the rainy sections. I'm cc'ing this email to
cedar tree industries, for the suggestion of a lighter version.

There are 2 main reasons I use a pack cover, even though my important stuff
is in dry bags anyway: 1- an extra layer of protection, 2- wet packs are
heavier.

--
www.hikefor.com/haiti-2010-Dan

--~--  www.HelpMeWeatherize.com  --~--